Business women are creating websites at a larger rate as a way to help promote and sell their products and services online. With millions and millions of people logging on to the world wide web daily, internet marketing is a great way to brand and share your offers with a massive amounts of potential clients. Achieving success through reaching people who want your products and services takes more than just having a website. The saying, if you build it they will come, doesn't quite work in this regard. Your website copy must contain the right set of keywords as well as be optimized for the major search engines to find. We highly recommend manually submitting your website pages to the search engines. Even though doing so does not fully guarantee that your business will be ranked on the first page, it is a way to let the search engines know that you have new information to share.
There are ways to automatically submit your site to the search engines, but we suggest that you manual submit your site's pages because they have made it apparent that it is what they prefer. The search engines have implemented manual submission as a best practice to protect themselves from extreme levels of spam.
There are 3 major search engines that we recommend that you submit your website to. These are Google, Yahoo! and Bing. There are other search engines that you can submit to also, even though the other engines have less traffic than Google, they millions of users.
Once you submit your URL, it could take several days, weeks, or months for the search engines to index your page(s). Results may vary so don’t write this in stone. Factors such as other websites pointing to your site can affect this time as well.
Steps to Submit your URL to Google:
1. Go to the following link: http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
2. Sign in to your Google account (i.e. Gmail)
3. Type in your URL, example: http://www.yoursite.com
4. Enter the captcha text shown in the box
5. Select “Add URL”
Steps to Submit your URL to Bing:
1. Go to the following link: http://www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx
2. Type in your URL, example: http://www.yoursite.com
3. Enter the captcha text shown in the box
4. Select “Submit URL”
Steps to Submit your URL to Yahoo:
1. Go to the following link: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
2. Click on “Submit Your Site for Free”
3. You will be redirected to Bing. Follow the on-screen instructions for submitting your URL.
That’s how you submit your website to the top three search engines! Once you complete the above steps, just sit back and be patient. It takes time for the search engines to index your pages. Don't rush to resubmit your site too quickly, if you submit more than once, some search engines may consider this spamming which could result in not indexing your site at all.